« Home | Understanding » | One Thousand Visits » | The day has come. Questions compiled for this wee... » | a bit on leaders... » | Ask OldManRivers » | "Ask OldManRivers" » | Deep Questions » | Decolonization [Part III] » | Dance Group » | i am not a chief » 

April 12, 2006 

Ask OldManRivers



The Week of Wednesday 12th

Do you think we are in a state of war?

Yes... next question!



I kid, I kid.

War
(w�r)
n.

    1. A condition of active antagonism or contention: a war of words; a price war.
    2. A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious: the war against acid rain.
I believe that says alot for me. After a recent realization; KKKanadian goverment is extremly racist. KKKanadian people are pretty racist. Majority of KKKanada does not want to see my people win or succeed. Although, some do, most do not. So why should I feel compelled to vote, or be "CANADIAN" when my enemy kind of became my country? Has to do with the fact we are still here. We are fighting for our idenity. Abide, we do have to stop whinning and blaming. Break free into independance and start living. The constant struggle is the KKKanadian goverment trying to shut us down or abide what they want. Are we merly a pawn of ethnic proportions for money, power and materialistic wealth. Although, in the middle of this war our spirituality, ethics and well being is destroyed. The tactics used to assimilated the already assimilated indians into well fine capitalistic Aboriginals fight them selves (the colonial way I may add). It's an awakward war, and nothing we can compare it to too around the world.

One thing people tend to want to do it compare situations with others, but the First Nations situation is all alone in it's struggle, problems and conflict. Although, it does give up to the fact the young people are rising up, we become more decolonize and stronger to our roots. The war rages on and we continue to fight. I feel no sympathy towards KKKanadians, their cause or their beliefs. They say "It's our land too", so be it. I'm fine with living together, but not as "one". When the blood that flows through my vains stop, the mountians stop producing snow, and the animals are all gone, we have truly lost. What are we when we stop being spiritual enviromentalists?

Do you think ethics should change during such a state?

Depends what you are fighting for. Although all wars are for economics (we can debate that later), it goes deeper and is rooted in other ways. America rooted its recent wars in fear and nationalism. The middle east roots it in religious beliefs. China roots itself in power. If we are the continue to fight this war, it must be for the right reasons. Our ethics, spirituality, ansestors and people are the main reason as I see it. What else would it be about for us indigenous peoples? Money, power, land? Then we would have lost the war and become the thing we are fighting. Although, it's boarder line religious, our cause is more expansive. The underlying fact, our spiritual beliefs to not initate violence, it does it's best to fight and strugle without it. If we change or loss our ethics in this war, we will lose 100%. What are we when we stop being spiritual enviromentalists?

Do the ends ever/always justify the means?

They can. Not always. Rarly, but they can. Unfortunaly avid reader, this question I must ponder. I will anwser in detail next week.

If you were in a relationship with someone and they were in love with you, and you were open about not being in love with the other person, and a month later, you're still with the person, and still have not said "I Love You" would you feel guilty or not? And if you DID what would you do? Stay with that person, or break up with them?

This question has alot of what I like to call "unknown variables". But I'll answer the best I can. It would be kind of unsettling, but If I enjoyed being with the person. Loved being with the person. And wanted to spend more time because of the reason you enjoy relationships (companionship, understanding, fun, respect), it would be okay with me. As long as we both are getting what we want, what's the problem? Inless it was a problem for them, I wouldn't feel guilty. If it was a problem for them, and become a more apparently problem, I might have to change my feeling as I would rather then not get hurt. But if the person can get over it, and just reasert his/her beliefs of why they are in the relationship in the first place, I would be okay. If I had no problem with it (probably wouldn't) I would stay with them. If they had a problem with it, I might have a problem with and yes, break up.

But like I said, many unknown variables.

<----------------------------------------:::::::: ::::::::---------------------------------------->

About me

  • I'm Rivers
  • From the village of Xwemelch'stn, Sḵwxwú7mesh-ulh
  • Dustin Rivers is a writer and community organizers of indigenous origins. He is of two tribes: Sḵwxwú7mesh and 'Namgis. He has a flare for action and contemplative meme's. He offers indigenous polemics, simply because he does not want a myopic political future for his people. Objective number one is to give breath to the noble way; a decolonize pose in life. Life, culture, and the writings of an inspired-youth.
My profile

TO READERS