« Home | Is it true that settlers are even more racist than... » | Conductors of the Masterpiece » | The Smenalh Code » | Do The "Ends Justify The Means"? » | Ask OldManRivers » | Understanding » | One Thousand Visits » | The day has come. Questions compiled for this wee... » | a bit on leaders... » | Ask OldManRivers » 

April 29, 2006 

Ansestors in Solidarity


Among my people, children and young people are the most tune to the spirit world because they are so new to this world it's easyer for them to connect without much training. Thus our children are the most protected and also at many times, listened too. At our ceremonies, we always call a young person to whitness the work taking place. In the forest and spiritual territories children have told of hearing songs in the tree's and drums.

I remember when I went to go feed my grandmothers spirit mask (skwenilitch), I could see hundreds of my ansestors standing around in white mountian goat wool blankets. When I see or hear the ansestors, they are telling me somthing, showing me somthing or blessing me.
Tonight I was having a family meeting with my grandmother, and she mentioned how a relative of mine was with her daughter last tuesday. They were walking over Burrard St. Bridge around 2:30ish. Anyways, her daughter, who's really young, said she could hear singing with loud drums coming from somewhere. Her mother couldn't hear anything but her daughter could hear it. She looked over the bridge into False Creek and could see lots of canoes full of people in it. They were canoe pulling along and singing songs. It's amazing to feel but let alone hear of things like this happening is amazing.

What is more amazing is the fact of when and where it was. This was going on around the same time the Soilidary with Six Nations march in downtown Vancouver was going on. The march, I felt, was so successful in many ways I was glad it took place. Hearing of my ansestors coming forth like this shows me, what we did was the right thing to do. My skwxwu7mesh-ulh ansestors were with us in support of our solidarity.
I pray for the Six Nations people and their continual struggle, the minds and hearst of the negotiators (on both sides) and the families of everyone around the situation. u siyam

<----------------------------------------:::::::: ::::::::---------------------------------------->

About me

  • I'm Rivers
  • From the village of Xwemelch'stn, Sḵwxwú7mesh-ulh
  • Dustin Rivers is a writer and community organizers of indigenous origins. He is of two tribes: Sḵwxwú7mesh and 'Namgis. He has a flare for action and contemplative meme's. He offers indigenous polemics, simply because he does not want a myopic political future for his people. Objective number one is to give breath to the noble way; a decolonize pose in life. Life, culture, and the writings of an inspired-youth.
My profile

TO READERS